This vegan French toast tastes just like the original French toast made with eggs. You won't believe it's vegan. Who doesn't like a few slices of soft and sweet French toast on a Saturday morning? This eggless French toast is perfectly crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. It's spiced with cardamom and cinnamon and drenched in rose syrup - its flavours were inspired by a popular Indian fried bread pudding - shahi tukda. It's made from a few simple basic ingredients and it's a budget-friendly and fuss-free recipe. This vegan French toast is a perfect Saturday brunch treat or can be enjoyed as a sweet indulgent snack any time of the day. It can also be made gluten-free if you use gluten-free bread and wheat-free plain flour. Pair it with an obligatory glass of masala chai.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THIS VEGAN FRENCH TOAST:
- white toast bread
- silken tofu
- plant milk of choice (I always use almond milk)
- plain flour
- gram flour
- pink Himalayan salt
- soft pitted dates
- cinnamon powder
- cardamom powder
- maple syrup
- vanilla extract
- coconut oil
To make rose syrup:
- agave nectar or golden syrup
- rose water
- vegan vanilla yoghurt
- pistachios, finely chopped
- dried edible rose petals
HOW TO MAKE EGGLESS CARDAMOM TOAST
- To make a vegan “egg” mixture: remove silken tofu from the packaging and transfer it to a blender. Blend with almond milk and 2 pitted dates at low speed. Transfer your “egg” mixture into a flat soup bowl (where you’ll be soaking the bread slices).
- Add cardamom powder, cinnamon powder, gram flour, plain flour, maple syrup and salt and whisk until you get a lump-free thin pancake batter consistency.
- Take one slice of bread and dip in the batter. Make sure it’s well coated from both sides.
- Fry on a non-stick pan for 2-3 minutes. Add a bit of coconut or sunflower oil if you’d like. Flip the slice of bread and fry on the other side for 2-3 more minutes, until gold and crispy. It’s ready. Transfer it to a plate.
For the full ingredient list, exact measurements, complete recipe method, please scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom.
HOW TO SERVE THIS EGGLESS CARDAMOM FRENCH TOAST
Serve drenched in rose syrup and topped with vanilla yoghurt, chopped pistachios and rose petals. Pair with an obligatory cup of masala chai (as always).
VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- I used white fluffy toast bread to make this French toast as I find it works best in this recipe – sweet French toast made with white toast bread taste almost like pancakes – but, of course, feel free to use white sourdough or any kind of bread you want. I wouldn’t recommend brown wholemeal bread for this recipe though.
- For a gluten-free option, simply use gluten-free bread and gluten-free plain flour.
THIS CARDAMOM CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST IS
- 100% vegan (it's eggless and gluten-free)
- can be made gluten-free if you use gluten-free bread and gluten-free plain flour
- quick and easy to make - it comes together in just 15 minutes
- a simple vegan recipe that requires only basic cooking skills
- a great sweet vegan breakfast idea but can also be enjoyed as a sweet indulgent snack any time of the day
- a fuss-free budget-friendly recipe that requires only a few basic ingredients
- inspired by flavours of a popular Indian bread pudding dessert - shahi tukda
Other easy vegan breakfast recipes you might enjoy:
Healthy vegan sheer khurma - a vegan version of popular Indian vermicelli pudding, sweetened with dates.
Bubur injin - Indonesian black sticky rice porridge - perfect for breakfast or as a healthy, indulgent snack any time of the day.
Savory sweet potato waffles - in case you fancy something savory instead.
Tofu scramble - my tofu scramble is better than yours #sorrynotsorry.
Vegan masala French toast - if you've never tried savory French toast before, you are missing out...