This dudhi chana dal curry is a popular Indian recipe using Bengal gram and bottle gourd (also called opo squash). In this simple vegan and gluten-free recipe dudhi and chana dal are cooked with tomatoes, onions, garlic and spiced to perfection with traditional Indian spices. I was introduced to this dudhi chana dal combination by someone from Pakistani Punjab and it became one of my go-to mid-week dinner recipes. This vegan and gluten-free recipe is packed with high in protein chana dal and healthy vegetables. It's a fuss-free, nourishing and wholesome dinner idea that will definitely liven up your evening. Pair this Punjabi lauki chana dal curry with wholemeal rotis or fluffy basmati rice and a selection of achar (pickles), of course. I cook mine on the stove but you can use a pressure cooker to reduce cooking time.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THIS EASY VEGAN DUDHI CHANA DAL CURRY
- chana dhal
- coriander powder
- cumin powder
- turmeric powder
- black peppercorns
- chilli powder
- cinnamon stick
- green chillies
- dry methi leaves
- chopped fresh coriander
- pink Himalayan salt
For the full ingredient list, exact measurements, complete recipe method, please scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom.
HOW TO MAKE THIS EASY VEGAN DUDHI CHANA DAL CURRY
- Preparation: soak chana dal for at least an hour. Rinse thoroughly two or three times.
- Simmer chana dal for about 20-25 minutes, until cooked through but not mushy. Drain and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- Dice onions and tomatoes. Crush ginger and garlic.
- Sauté onions, gingers and garlic in a bit of olive oil or water for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt and powdered spices and sauté for a few minutes, until tomatoes melt.
- Now pour the sauce into your blender and blend until smooth. Or blend carefully with a soup blender in the pot. Blending the sauce is optional but I would never skip this step if I were you 😀 Add the blended sauce back to the pot.
- Peel dudis and cut in thick half moon slices. Wash thoroughly and set aside.
- Add cooked chana dal to the sauce. Add sliced dudi. Add 4 cups of water (or more) so the sauce covers all the vegetables. Add cinnamon bark, black pepper corns and cloves. Cook on a low light for 15 minutes or so, until dudi is cooked. Stir ocasionally but not too much or dudhi may fall apart. Stir in dried methi leaves and 1/2 tsp of garam masala powder in the end.
- Garnish with fresh chopped coriander and chilli flakes prior to serving.
OTHER EASY VEGAN INDIAN RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
Kala chana - black chickpea curry - chana masala's cooler and younger sister.
Chickpea tikka masala - chickpeas cooked in rich coconut tomato sauce - a cruelty-free version of everyone's favourite Indian restaurant classic.
Aloo palak - easy vegan spinach and potato curry.
Vegan vegetable korma - mixed vegetables cooked in sweet and creamy coconut cashew sauce.
Eddoe lentil curry - easy vegan recipe with taro (arbi).
Sabut masoor dal - brown lentils, spiced to perfection and cooked with a lot of onions and garlic.