These delicious smashed za'atar potatoes are a perfect quick and easy recipe to use up any leftover potatoes you keep hostage in your fridge. Did you know that Middle Eastern za'atar spice mix goes amazingly well with roasted potatoes? This fuss-free recipe is vegan and gluten-free and it comes together in just under 30 minutes. Smashed potatoes are spiced with za'atar and garlic powder, baked to perfection and served with a generous amount of delicious tahini yoghurt sauce, fresh parsley and pomegranate seeds on top. These za'atar smashed potatoes are a great side dish to any Middle Eastern-inspired feast (they pair well with falafel) or can be enjoyed as a healthy, delicious afternoon snack. I personally love having them just on their own - they make great vegan lunch.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THESE VEGAN SMASHED ZA'ATAR POTATOES
- cooked leftover baby potatoes (or smaller in size regular potatoes)
- za’atar spice mix
- garlic powder
- pink Himalayan salt
- olive oil
For the tahini yoghurt dip:
- garlic clove
- plain unsweetened soy yoghurt
- cumin powder
- lemon juice
- pink Himalayan salt
- pomegranate seeds
- chopped fresh parsley
- hemp seeds
For the full ingredient list, exact measurements, complete recipe method, please scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom.
HOW TO MAKE SMASHED POTATOES
- Place your leftover cooked baby potatoes on a baking tray and using a potato masher or simply a drinking glass, smash potatoes until flattened but still in one piece. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the smashed potatoes with za’atar, garlic powder and salt.
- Bake in the oven at 200 degrees C for 25 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve topped with tahini dip, chopped parsley and pomegranate seeds.
OTHER EASY VEGAN RECIPES WITH POTATOES
Vegan smashed potato chaat - Indian spiced potatoes oven-baked to perfection, drowned in a medley of lip-smacking chutneys and sauces and then topped with fresh coriander, sev and pomegranate seeds. If you know then you know.
Aloo palak - easy vegan spinach and potato curry.
Aloo matar - sometimes all you need is a huge bowl of this simple potato green pea curry.
Aloo gobi - cauliflower and potato curry. My two favourite vegetables make this winning combination.
Vegan Greek loaded fries - spiced fries topped with garlic yoghurt sauce, marinated Greek salad, vegan feta and black olives.