This vegan potato spinach curry (aloo palak) is my go-to easy mid-week dinner idea. It's one of my favourite Indian / Pakistani recipes. In this easy vegan and gluten-free recipe, nutritionally dense spinach and tender potatoes are cooked with lots of tomatoes, onions, ginger and garlic and spiced to perfection with traditional Indian spices: cumin, coriander, turmeric, chilli, smoked paprika, cloves, cinnamon and black pepper. Aloo palak is a popular Indian side dish but I tend to enjoy it as a main course. This Indian spinach potato curry is a perfect nutritious wholesome vegan dinner. It's quick and easy to make - it comes together in just over 45 minutes. This aloo palak will definitely kick start your love affair with dark and leafy spinach. Pair this spinach potato curry with wholesome roti, fragrant basmati rice and a selection of pickles for a nutritious and satisfying vegan dinner.
How I incorporate more greens into my diet: I eat a lot of saag aloo, of course! No, but seriously. This classic Indian dish will convert the most adamant spinach haters into spinach lovers. I can guarantee you this miracle!
Instead of regular potatoes, I always use miniature baby ones. Just because they're extra cute and they make this not very photogenic dish more fun to look at. Honestly, stuff you do for the gram nowadays!
So yeah, it's always a bit of a challenge to take an appealing photo of saag aloo. How did I do? Let me know. I tried to entertain you with my henna hands, hope it worked!
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THIS EASY VEGAN ALOO PALAK (POTATO SPINACH CURRY)
- miniature baby potatoes
- frozen spinach
- garlic cloves
- fresh ginger
- coriander powder
- cumin powder
- turmeric powder
- chilli powder
- cinnamon powder
- smoked paprika powder
- black peppercorns
- green chillies
- pink Himalayan salt
- olive oil
- fresh coriander
- chilli flakes
For the full ingredient list, exact measurements, complete recipe method, please scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN SAAG ALOO (SPINACH POTATO CURRY)
- Cook spinach for 15 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Dice onions and tomatoes. Crush ginger and garlic.
- Saute onions and garlic in a bit of olive oil for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and a bit more water and saute until tomatoes soften.
- Add the spices and pink Himalayan salr. Simmer for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Chop the cooked spinach on the chopping board. It’s up to you how finely. Personally, I don’t like when my spinach turns into a puree, it’s not my thing. So I just chop it roughly.
- Add spinach to the curry sauce and cook on a low flame for 10 minutes. Add a tiny bit of water. Stir occasionally and keep checking as it’s easy to burn the spinach!
- Add washed miniature baby potatoes and chopped green chillies. Simmer with the lid on for about 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are cooked. If everything’s getting too dry and spinach gets stuck to the bottom of the pot, add a tiny bit of water.
OTHER EASY VEGAN DINNER RECIPES YOU WILL LOVE
Aloo matar - easy vegan potato green pea curry. So simple and so amazing.
Karela chana dal curry - easy vegan recipe with bitter gourd (bitter melon) and chana dal.
Eddoe lentil curry - arbi dal - easy recipe with taro root (arbi) and red split lentils.
Aloo gobi - potato cauliflower curry - my two favourite vegetables swimming in rich curry sauce together.
Butternut squash coconut soup - topped with chives, roasted chickpeas and pomegranate seeds.