Disclaimer: this vegan kimchi grilled cheese sandwich is dangerously addictive and after trying it there is no going back! Kimchi lovers will know what I mean. You'll be coming back for more - this recipe means a kimchi cheese toastie for lunch on repeat, every day! This kimchi cheese grilled cheese sandwich is a quick and easy lunch meal idea. It comes together in just 10 minutes and no cooking skills are required! Did you know that kimchi and vegan cheese make the best combination? Add some avocado, spring onions, vegan mayo and a touch of gochujang for this delicious, Korean-inspired lunch experience and perfectly balanced flavours, colours and textures - this vegan kimchi toastie is spicy, tangy, creamy and crunchy at the same time. Enjoy it for lunch or as a delicious savoury snack. This vegan recipe is perfect for using up your bread and kimchi leftovers.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE THIS KIMCHI TOASTIE
- white toast bread
- vegan cheese
- vegan mayo
- sliced spring onions
- sriracha sauce
- gochujang paste (Korean red chilli paste)
- vegan butter
- kimchi (drained, without liquid)
For the full ingredient list, exact measurements, complete recipe method, please scroll down to the recipe card at the bottom.
LET'S MAKE A VEGAN KIMCHI TOASTIE
- To assemble one kimchi cheese toastie: spread vegan butter and then a thin layer of gochujang on one slice of the sandwich and then a thick layer of vegan mayo on both slices of the sandwich. Now add a thin layer of drained kimchi (no liquid or your toastie will get soggy), avocado slices and sliced spring onions. Add as much sriracha as you like.
- Now top everything with two slices of vegan cheese and then close the sandwich with the other slice of bread. Spread the outside of the sandwiches with butter as well.
- Toast in an electric grill for 8-10 minutes, until cheese melts and your sandwich is golden brown and crispy and when you get those cool grill lines. Alternatively, you can cook your sandwich on a non-stick frying pan, a few minutes on each side. Cut in half or in four prior to serving.
- Optional: garnish with red chilli flakes, sliced spring onions, avo stars (totally optional but it's so fun!) and ketchup.
THIS KIMCHI GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH IS
- 100% vegan (it's eggless and dairy-free)
- can be made gluten-free if you use gluten-free bread
- a fuss-free easy vegan lunch option
- something kimchi lovers will definitely appreciate
- inspired by Korean flavours
- spicy, tangy, crunchy, rich and creamy at the same time
- full of different colours, flavours and textures
- perfect for using up bread and kimchi leftovers
Other easy vegan lunch ideas you will love:
Vegan kimchi ramen - because I add kimchi to everything and this kimchi ramen happens to be the craziest noodle soup I've made in my entire life.
Mumbai cheese toastie - another cheese toastie idea with mashed masala potatoes and avocado mint coriander chutney. So good...
Vegan masala French toast - if you've never had savory French toast before, you are missing out...
Coronation chickpea sandwich filler - a cruelty-free version of popular coronation chicken sandwich.
Vietnamese cold noodle salad - vermicelli noodles with fresh and crunchy salad in a sweet chilli garlic dressing.