This vegan Vietnamese noodle salad is my go-to cold summer meal idea. You know when it's too hot and you just can't be bothered to cook anything on the stove - this cold noodle salad always saves me on hot summer days. This vegan Vietnamese vermicelli salad is packed with healthy crunchy salad veggies, fresh fragrant herbs, gluten-free rice noodles and high in protein crispy tofu. Serve it with crushed peanuts, crispy fried onions and sweet garlic and chilli dressing to teleport yourself to Vietnam in no time. This Vietnamese cold vermicelli noodle salad is a light and healthy fuss-free meal and it's full of different textures and amazing flavours.
- 280-300g block of tofu
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 small head of organic lettuce
- few stalks of spring onions
- 1 big carrot
- 1 cucumber
- few handfuls of fresh mint
- few handfuls of fresh coriander
- 200g packet of rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 cups of bean sprouts
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- juice of 3/4 freshly squeezed lime
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 red chilli (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup water
- few tbsp of crispy fried onions
- 1 cup of peanuts (finely chopped)
- First make crispy tofu: cut tofu in cubes, mix with cornstarch and tamari in a bowl. Make sure all tofu cubes are evenly coated with a sticky layer of cornstarch. Bake in the oven on a non-stick silicon baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes on 200 degrees C, until golden and crispy.
- Prepare rice noodles according to instructions from the packaging.
- Prepare salad veggies. Julienne carrot with a julienne peeler. Cut cucumber in strips (matchsticks). Use a carving knife if you have one.
- Finely chop lettuce, coriander and mint leaves.
- To make salad dressing simply combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.
- Now assemble your salad: assemble all ingredients in bowls or on a platter: either neatly seperated or mixed well. It's up to you. Don't forget about bean sprouts!
- Top with finely chopped peanuts and crispy fried onions (skip the crispy fried onions for a healthier version).
- Serve with a portion of the chilli sesame salad dressing.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
Keywords: healthy, noodle salad, noodles, salad, salad dressing, summer meal, vietnamese, vietnamese cuisine, vietnamese food